Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
About Gender and Generational Programme
Hivos has been working to improve smallholders’ position in the coffee value chain for over 20 years. Together with local partners, it helps smallholders to improve their coffee yields and overall farm sustainability and viability. Hivos has gained recognition for its role in promoting gender equality and youth involvement in value chains, in particular in coffee.
Hivos together with Twin & Twin Trading Limited through funding from Comic Relief are working with Vuasu Cooperative Union (VCU) in Same, Kilimanjaro region to implement the Gender and Generational Programme.
The Gender and Generational Empowerment Programme builds the achievements of Hivos’ work with Vuasu in integrating Twin’s 6 pillars of development for smallholder organizations: gender justice, sustainable agriculture, business management, governance, quality and processing and market access. It draws on existing global and regional expertise, including Hivos Global Office and Hivos East Africa. Through advocacy we target the wider stakeholders of the coffee industry including the Tanzania Coffee Board with the aim of strongly persuading them to invest in gender and youth interventions.
Objectives of the programme:
- More equal division of labour, access to income and assets, and participation in planning and decision making, between men, women and young farmers.
- VCU’s members, including women and youth, increase coffee productivity and quality and Good Agricultural Practices (GAPS).
- Governance and business performance of VCU is strengthened, leading to greater robustness and member loyalty.
- Male, female and youth farmer coffee income increases by accessing higher value markets, through certification and marketing support.
- Coffee industry participants are better prepared to invest in gender and youth interventions.
- Train Hivos East Africa staff on integrating Gender Action Learning System (GALS) in their programmes a heightened focus being institutionalization of this methodology.
Purpose of the consultancy
To develop an influencing advocacy strategy that will ensure meaningful engagement with stakeholders in the coffee sector to enable invesment in youth and gender interventions.
Scope of the assignment
- Undertake stakeholder mapping and power analysis;
- Through a consultative process and application of an appropriate tool of analysis, identify focus areas/vision, goals, key policy ask, develop strategic advocacy objectives and key result areas for the same;
- Propose strategic coalition partners and alliances that need to be brought on board for greater efficacy in strategy implementation.
- Results and Resources Framework for the gender advocacy strategy period;
- A tactical action plan
- A media and public engagement plan
- Operational plan
- Monitoring and evaluation plan
- Risk register
- An implementation arrangement
- Hold partners and stakeholder workshops/ meeting(s) to validate the draft gender advocacy strategy;
The methodology ought to be mixed whilst adopting highly consultative participatory approaches. Innovative methodologies proposed that will deliver effectively and efficiently the task/outcome are highly encouraged.
Full details of the methodology can be accessed from the Terms of Reference document on the right side bar.
The consultant will deliver:
- Inception Report (with power point presentation) outlining the consultant’s understanding of the TOR, methodology, ethical considerations , outline, work-plan and a list individuals and/or types of organizations the consultant will be engaging with;
- Validation workshops with key stakeholders (government and private sector), partners, women, female and male youths working in coffee, engaging with VUASU (a producer organization working with Hivos in Same Tanzania);
- Consultancy report on the process including stakeholder consultations and workshop;
- Development of advocacy massages and tactical operational plan of action;
- Development of a 3 year comprehensive influencing gender advocacy strategy including a results and resources framework.
- Minimum of a degree in Social Sciences preferably, planning, public policy, development studies, gender, community development, an MA in Public Policy will be an added advantage;
- Minimum of 8 years’ of progressive experience in gender justice advocacy; experience working in the coffee sector especially in East Africa will be an added advantage;
- Experience in development of gender policies and strategies;
- Knowledge of human rights;
- Knowledge of Gender Analysis.
Supervision of consultant
The consultant will be under the direct supervision of the Programme Officer Gender, based in Nairobi (Hivos East Africa) for the duration of the contract. In the field, the consultant will work closely with field staff the Gender Officer and Junior Programme Officer.
Interested applicants should submit:
- 1 page cover letter that summarizes capacity to undertake the assignment and commitment to participate in person;
- At least 2 pages and a maximum of 4 pages outlining interpretation of terms of reference and methodology to be used;
- 1 page outlining the proposed schedule of activities/ time frame;
- Updated CV for the consultant (s) with clear focus on similar work. This should not exceed 4 pages per consultant;
- At least two referees representative of individuals or organization for whom the consultant has previously undertaken similar work (not more than 3 years ago); and
- Additionally, the Consultants are required to submit two detailed proposals for the assignment.
Full details of the technical proposal can be accessed from the downloadable terms of reference document on the right side bar
Like to apply
A Technical and Financial (soft copy on email must be provided for technical proposal along with hard copy). Applications must be marked/or the two proposals must be submitted in separate sealed envelopes clearly marked “Gender Advocacy Strategy Development-Coffee Value chain Consultancy” on the top right corner of the envelopes. Potential consultant(s) should apply via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and drop hard copies at the Hivos East Africa Office at ACS Plaza, 3rd Floor on Lenana Road. The deadline for submission of proposals is 07/06/2017.