Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, it aims to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. It works in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: civic rights; gender equality, diversity and inclusion, and climate justice. Hivos’ approach is solution driven, and it builds wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.
About Cross Border Program
The program aims to contribute to a sustainable pastoralist civil society by building systems of community-centred communication in local development and related decision-making. It further contributes to enabling voices of pastoralists’ communities to be heard and harnessed in natural resource management.
Background of consultancy
Hivos is seeking the services of a consultant, under the Cross Border Program. The consultant is expected to design a proposal on the upscaling of the civil society in cross border regions program, as implemented in the period November 2018 – December 2020.
The consultant will bring to the project design process previous experience from writing successful integrated proposals involving several stakeholders. It is desirable that the consultant also brings a good understanding of issues relating to natural resource management, cross border communities and governance.
Scope of assignment
- Review relevant documents including the pilot project proposal, theory of change, partner and project reports, learning events and evaluation reports.
- Based on secondary data analysis, identify gaps in pastoralists’ involvement in natural resources decision making. This should include reviewing and compiling relevant research, evidence from prior similar interventions, best practices, and lessons learned.
- Provide guidance for the primary data collection process aimed at assessing community-level needs in relation to natural resources management.
- Conduct field visits in target areas to consult with relevant internal and external stakeholders, through key informant interviews, focus group discussions and workshops
- Meet with government authorities, such as National/County/District Authorities, relevant ministries, academia, research institutes, and other stakeholders to explore/ develop potential collaborations on relevant activities.
- Conduct problem analysis and validation workshops with Hivos, partner staff, and possible other relevant stakeholders.
- Based on the above, design a project proposal document that will include a concept note, a full proposal, budget and logical framework.
- Demonstrate at least 4 years’ experience in development of successful proposals in the natural resources management, cross border communities space
- Have a good understanding of cross border regions dynamics, public participation and governance process among pastoralist communities in natural resources management.
- Be well versed with civic engagement models, modalities around successful public participation, and community involvement in natural resources management
- Have at least 5 years relevant experience in working with civil society on public participation, community involvement in natural resources management. Experience working with civil society in cross border regions will be an added advantage. A good understanding of the topography dynamics in the Turkana and Moroto areas will be an added advantage.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, arts, or a related and relevant field.
- Have excellent planning and facilitation skills.
- Be excellent in written and spoken English
- Hivos is requesting qualified consultants, consultancy teams to submit a detailed proposal comprising the following;
- A cover letter
- Technical Proposal document comprising of:
- Background of the Consultancy firm/individual
- Work-plan with clear timelines and deliverables
- Team composition including qualifications and relevant experience. (All CVs of the team members should be annexed)
- A detailed Financial Proposal (budget)
- A minimum of 3 Referees
- Submission of at least two proposals on similar assignments.
The detailed terms of reference can be downloaded from this link
How to apply
Interested applicants should send an Expression of Interest (EOI) containing the aforementioned documents, outlining why they are best suited for this assignment. The Expression of Interest should not exceed six pages.
All applications should be sent to the address email@example.com, and received by 14 May 2021, 5.00pm EAT.
The email subject should read: EOI – Project Design (RBS). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.