Hivos seeks new and creative solutions to persistent global problems; solutions created by people taking their lives into their own hands. We offer a positive counterbalancing force against discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Our mission is to innovate for social change. With smart projects in the right places, we work towards more open and green societies.
About Cross border program
Hivos East Africa has been implementing the ‘Empowering informal civil society in the Eastern Africa border regions program ( also known as Cross border program)’ with support from the Robert Bosch Stiftung. The program is a pilot that seeks to enable trustworthy personalities of the informal civil society and among pastoralists to integrate their expertise into debates on resource planning and implementation and to bring them into dialogue among themselves and with relevant stakeholders. It also seeks to reinforce existing good practices of trustworthy personalities through documentation on positive practices. The program is implemented at the Kenya- Uganda border and targets communities in the Turkana and Moroto regions.
Hivos East Africa is seeking to procure the services of a consultant to conduct an end of project evaluation of the ‘Empowering informal civil society in the Eastern Africa border regions program (Cross border program)’. The consultant will be expected to visit the project sites in Lodwar and Moroto in Uganda.
Objective of the consultancy
This assignment is an end of program evaluation and will focus on the entire period of implementation (2018 – 2020).
The main objective of the evaluation is to assess the performance of the program since inception by documenting the extent to which the goal and objectives were achieved, successes, lessons learned, challenges, strengths and weaknesses.
Scope of the consultancy
The consultant is expected to:
- Review the context, assessing the relevance of interventions thus far under the program.
- Submit a detailed Inception Report (which includes work plan, methodology and tools to be used).
- Prepare a draft evaluation report for review.
- Submit a Final End of Term Evaluation Report with supporting annexes (e.g. interview responses).
The consultancy team is anticipated to carry out the assignment between 21 October 2020 to 26 November 2020. The first draft should be submitted by 10 November 2020, with validation workshops held by mid November 2020 and final report submitted by 21 November 2020. All deliverables shall be submitted no later than 10 December 2020.
Logistics for Activity
Ideally, the evaluation will be conducted in Turkana, Kenya and Moroto, Uganda, and will entail review of project documentation, interviews with project teams at Hivos and partner levels and interviews with direct and indirect beneficiaries under the project. The particular dates of the evaluation will be discussed further with the consultant, in light of the emergence and spread of the COVID-19 virus and changing government response in managing the pandemic.
The consultant should:
- Demonstrate at least 4 years’ experience in conducting mid-term or end-term evaluations of governance, public engagement, participatory governance and natural resources management projects.
- Have a good understanding of the civil society in cross border regions dynamics, public participation and governance process among pastoralist communities and mechanisms for communities’ involvement in natural resources management.
- Be well versed with civic engagement models, modalities around successful public participation, and community involvement in natural resources management
- Have a good understanding of the topography dynamics in the Turkana and Moroto areas will be an added advantage.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, arts, or a related and relevant field.
- Have excellent planning and facilitation skills.
- Be excellent in written and spoken English.
The assignment will run for 10 working days, including preparatory activities.
You can download a detailed terms of reference from this link
How to apply
Submit a detailed proposal comprising the following;
- A cover letter.
- Technical Proposal document comprising of:
- Background of the Consultancy firm/individual;
- Understanding of the Terms of Reference;
- Proposed Methodology;
- Work-plan with clear timelines and deliverables;
- Team composition including qualifications and relevant experience. (All CVs of the team members must be annexed).
- A detailed Financial Proposal.
- A minimum of 3 referees.
- Proof of previous assignments of a similar nature.
Interested applicants should send an Expression of Interest (EOI) to the address email@example.com, by 5 October 2020, 5.00pm. The email subject should read: EOI – Evaluation, Cross Border Project. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
All communication regarding the proposal must be made through the e-mail address provided only.