Hivos is an international organization that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organizations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
This position supports Hivos social entrepreneurship programs in East Africa. Initially, this includes the Dignity in Labor and the Urban Biomass Briquetting Programs. The programs create social enterprises for domestic workers and urban briquette enterprises.
- Provide mentoring, coaching and account management support to startups on a regular basis;
- Conduct need assessments and draft work plans to provide necessary support to startups and social enterprises;
- Identify various support platforms which are available to startups;
- Facilitate and broker investment support to startups (grants, angel investments, incubation and acceleration programs, impact investments, corporate investments etc.);
- Support to improve sustainability and health of the startups (financial, HR, customer acquisitions, business development, legal etc.);
- Draft reports based on the success stories of mentoring support to social enterprises and recommendations to further improve the program;
- Mobilize partnerships and resources to support the Hivos Social Entrepreneurship programs.
Hivos seeks to recruit a social entrepreneurship expert with demonstrable background and track record in entrepreneurship support in Kenya. You will oversee the implementation of the social enterprise programs for Hivos in East Africa.
Your experience and skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Proven working experience in entrepreneurship.
- Prior experience in providing support to startups through mentoring, coaching and facilitating investments
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Excellent communication skills; written, verbal and presentation.
- Ability to handle multiple demands from many people and prioritize effectively.
- Ability to stay calm in all circumstances and always demonstrate a “can do” attitude. Finds opportunity in difficulties.
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent marketing skills.
Submit your application through SkillsMap