Hivos is an international organization that seeks new solutions to recurrent global problems. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is on achieving structural changes. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organizations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Hivos has been implementing a project aimed at contributing to the diversification of dialogue, debate and dissent in society through the implementation of the Resource of Open Minds (R.O.O.M.) project. R.O.O.M supports the creative work of a new generation of artists, musicians, filmmakers, and content creators who investigate and challenge the status quo in the societies in which they live. R.O.O.M. is the place for young people who have a critical independent mindset and a do-it-yourself attitude.
Background of consultancy
Hivos East Africa is seeking the services of a consultant under the R.O.O.M Project. The consultant is expected to facilitate a Digital Security Training for Critical Content Creators in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
Scope of the consultancy
The consultant is expected to:
- Deliver training materials responsive to creatives’ needs, with case studies on critical content creation and digital security.
- Deliver two one-day trainings in an engaging and practical manner in Kenya and Uganda.
The consultant is expected to deliver the following:
- Training materials for critical content creators as will be agreed upon with the Hivos program manager.
- Two one-day trainings for critical content creators in Kenya and Uganda.
The expected outcome of the trainings is that participants understand and gain knowledge on the digital security issues and risks that affect them as critical content creators, and that they find ways of mitigating the risks.
The consultant should:
- Have a good understanding of the key issues regarding Digital Security in East African States.
- Be well versed on the following topics on digital security:
- Security awareness
- Threat assessment and the security circle
- Password Protection
- Information Backup, Destruction and Recovery
- Internet Surveillance and Monitoring
- Circumvention of Internet Censorship and Filtering
- Encryption on the Internet
- Malicious software and Spam
- Identity Theft and Profiling
- Changes to legislation on Internet Privacy and Freedom of Expression affecting work and safety of Human Rights Defenders and critical content creators in East Africa and around the world
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in ICT or related courses. Additional training in Digital Security is preferred.
- Possess at least 5 years relevant experience in Digital Security training and consultancy
- Demonstrate work experience in the creative(s) space, freedom of expression, human rights
defenders and/or media sectors, preferably in East Africa.
- Have excellent training and facilitation skills
- Be excellent in written and spoken English
The specific topics will be decided upon once the consultant is selected.
Interested applicants should send an Expression of Interest (EOI) containing a curriculum vitae and cover letter outlining why they are best suited for this assignment, a budget (daily and total rates) and references of 3 previous assignments of a similar nature. The Expression of Interest should not exceed six pages.
All applications should be sent to the address firstname.lastname@example.org, and received by 20 September 2019, 5.00pm EAT. The email subject should read: EOI-Digital Security Training. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.